12/30/12

Boring personal reading habits 2k12

Here is the list of books I completed in 2012. I only read 56 books this year versus 70 last year. However, I'm unsure how to count the graphic novels and comics I've read. (I've read so many in part, as I said last year, because I'm working on a graphic novel with John Dermot Woods). I've tried to go for the largest collection there is, but that's led me to include massive hundred issue trade paperbacks alongside single issues. Okay, this is pretty irrelevant. I'm going to separate the graphic novels from text works though, leaving me with 31 text books and 25   art and text books. * means I've read the book before.



BOOKS:

1.      The Shadow of the Torturer – Gene Wolfe
2.      The Claw of the Conciliator – Gene Wolfe
3.      The Sword of the Lictor – Gene Wolfe
4.      The Colour Out of Space (and other stories) – H. P. Lovecraft*
5.      Othello – William Shakespeare*
6.      Meat Heart – Melissa Broder
7.      NOON 2012
8.      On Bullshit – Harry Frankfurt
9.      Windeye – Brian Evenson
10.  Flatscreen – Adam Wilson
11.  Immobility – Brian Evenson
12.  Peru – Gordon Lish
13.  The Hour of the Star – Clarice Lispector*
14.  A Storm of Swords – George R. R. Martin
15.  A Feast for Crows – George R. R. Martin
16.  A Dance with Dragons – George R. R. Martin
17.  The Third Policeman – Flann O’Brien
18.  Camera Lucida – Roland Barthes
19.  Road-Side Dog – Milosz
20.  Nine Months – Paula Bomer
21.  The Journalist and the Murderer – Janet Malcolm
22.  The Miracle Cures of Dr. Aira – Cesar Aira
23.  The Importance of Being Earnest – Oscar Wilde*
24.  By Night in Chile – Roberto Bolano
25.  Was This Man a Genius? – Julie Hecht
26.  The Big Sleep – Raymond Chandler*
27.  Motorman – David Ohle
28.  Exercises in Style – Robert Queneau
29.  Vicky Swanky is a Beauty – Diane Williams
30.  T Zero – Italo Calivino
31.  End Zone – Don DeLillo


Favorites:
The Third Policeman – Flann O’Brien 
 Windeye – Brian Evenson (which I reviewed for Bookforum)
The Journalist and the Murderer – Janet Malcolm 

Although I also really loved the DeLillo, the Diane Williams, the Roberto Bolano, the Gordon Lish, and was thrilled to read my good friend Adam Wilson's debut novel. Lots of good stuff this year!

Stats: 17 novels, 6 collections/lit mags, 4 works of non-fiction, 2 books of poetry, and 2 plays.

COMICS:

1.      Lose #2 – Michael Deforge
2.      Lose #3 – Michael Deforge
3.      The Book of Human Insects – Osamu Tezuka
4.      Ants Have Sex in Your Beer – David Shirgley
5.      Asterios Polyp – David Mazzucchelli
6.      I Want You #2 – Lisa Hanawalt
7.      Stay Away From Other People – Lisa Hanawalt
8.      Skyscrapers of the Midwest – Joshua Cotter
9.      Action Philosophers! – Fred Van Lente, Ryan Dunlavey
10.  Top 10 Volume 1 – Alan Moore, et al
11.  Top 10 Volume 2 – Alan Moore, et al
12.  Bone #1: Out from Boneville – Jeff Smith
13.  Smax – Alan Moore, et al
14.  Miracleman, Vol 1: A Dream of Flying – Alan Moore, et al
15.  Miracleman, Vol 1: The Red King – Alan Moore, et al
16.  Miracleman, Vol 3: Olympus – Alan Moore, et al
17.  Fight or Run! – Kevin Huizenga
18.  My Boy – Olivier Schrauwen
19.  King City – Brandon Graham
20.  I Killed Adolf Hitler – Jason*
21.  Ultimate X-Men Volumes 1-9
22.  Ultimatum
23.  Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? – Alan Moore
24.  Both – Tom Gauld and Simone Lia
25.  Forming – Jesse Moynihan

Favorites:
The various works from Jesse Moynihan (I reviewed Forming for The Rumpus), Lisa Hanawalt, Michael Deforge, and Alan Moore.

No comments: